Monday, September 22, 2008

To clean or not to clean

That is the question.

After having kids, I realized that I'm borderline type-A. So there are some things in my life that needs to be in place... such as routines and to-do-lists.

The other day, a co-worker/friend, gave me an advice, which I took to the heart. She said

If you really, truly, want to keep a balanced life, and want to spend
quality time with your kids, stop cleaning the house!
When I first heard it, I thought, seriously? seriously?!! Not that my house is sparkly clean at all times, but for the most part, to keep my sanity, I like to keep things organized, dishes washed, floor mopped, and carpet vacuumed. Now laundry, laundry is a whole other story, which I will not go there now.

Point being... so often, I rant and I rant about my to-do-lists and all the things I have to do and why oh why do I have so much on my plate. And in reality, I can easily scoot some of the stuff aside.

Easier said than done of course.

But today, I said, what the heck, what's there to lose.

So instead of cooking dinner, and doing the dishes, and sorting the laundry and whatever else I had on my monday afternoon schedule.... I took my boys to the playground.

And I am so glad I did!

Wonder baby got to go on his first swing ride. And as we walked all the way home, wonder boy kept thanking me for taking them to the park!

In the end, I realized, there is definitely nothing wrong with the dishes piled up in the sink, or the occasional take-out dinners. Because when these two boys grow up (and they're going to grow up fast!), they're not going to remember how clean their house was, or how often did mommy cook dinner for them... they're going to remember days like this... walking to the park, and riding on the swing.

And for me, that a darn good enough reason to live in a not-so clean house!


0 comments: