Tuesday, September 23, 2008

ONCE UPON A nap-TIME

So after many attempts of getting an accurate answer from wonder boy about what it is that he likes and not like about school, it all comes down to not-liking naptime. Sunday night when I told him that he needed to get ready for bed early because of school the next day, he immediately went into a stress-mode.

me: honey, you have to go to sleep now because you have to wake up early since you have school tomorrow.

him: mommy, i don't want to go, i don't want to nap there.

me: you don't want to go to school?

him: i want to go to school, but i don't want to nap there. pick me up during dinnertime? (he meant lunch time!)

me: mommy cannot pick you up at lunch, i have to go to work.

him: but you take so long, i don't want to nap there.

me: ok tomorrow, i'm going to talk to the office and see what i can do

THE NEXT DAY - I went to his school office and changed his status from "napper to non-napper", which means that he gets to go do other activities in the afternoon instead of napping. HOWEVER, they are required to have 30 minutes of rest time (just sitting down, head down on the table).

him: so i'm not going to nap, right?

me: nope, you're going to the big kids' room after lunch

him: ok, bye, see ya! (dashed off to his friends, no hugs, no kisses, no hanging on my legs!)

AFTERNOON PICK-UP

I had to pick up his back pack and lunch box from his homeroom.

homeroom teacher: He was soooooo happy today, told me 3 times that he didn't have to nap anymore! go ahead and pick him up from the other room.

I left the room to go to the other room, only to find him drooling on the right side of his face, with drool hanging from his mouth, through his forearm, and on to the table, dead-asleep, snoring as loud as a hog! (Unfortunately, i forgot my phone in the car, because that picture was worth a thousand words!)

afternoon activities teacher: I ask all the kids in here for rest time, and he fell asleep 3 minutes after sitting down.

Woke him up and started walking to the parking lot.

me: honey, i thought you didn't want to nap?

him: oh no mommy, i wasn't napping, i just had to rest my head down because teacher said!


. . .

0 comments: