Thursday, November 20, 2008

Love Thursday: gratitude

Today is the big "layoffs" here at work. The clouds gloomed over our 6 buildings as I drove up around 9 am. I walked in the building and into my area to find everyone staring at their monitors and clicking quietly, pretending to work, while they sit and wonder if they are next to be called in the doomed conference room, stocked with kleenex!

Shortly after I got settled in, my boss calls me in his office. I saw a smile on his face, a sincere one, so I knew that he was about to tell me something good. "You're safe", he said. ... as I plopped with relief into the chair in front of his desk.

More details were discussed... then I thanked him, and I told him that i really, trully, love my job!

I've been here over 8 years now. This is so far the second round of RIFs. First one was around the dot com crash in the early 2000s.

Leaving your house to drive to work and not knowing whether you are coming back home jobless is probably one of the worst feelings in the world... for anyone. Especially now, during this hard economic time.

So today, for love thursday, I am loving my job. Most of all, I am thankful.

0 comments: